What is a charter school?

In South Carolina, charter schools are authorized by the South Carolina Public Charter School District, a university, or by the local school board. Charter schools are autonomous, offer innovative academic programs and are governed by a Board of Directors. This autonomy comes with accountability by the authorizer for fiscal management and meeting student growth and achievement goals. Midlands Arts Conservatory was authorized by the South Carolina Public Charter School District in 2016.

What grade are offered at MAC?

MAC currently offers sixth, seventh, and eighth grade for the 2019-2020 school. The school will expand by adding a grade each year with the first senior class graduating in the spring of 2024.

Is there a cost to attend MAC?

As a state charter school, Midlands Arts Conservatory is a public school and free to residents of South Carolina. No tuition is charged. As with any school, there will be costs such as school supplies, etc., but we anticipate working closely with community partners to ensure that all children have access to the necessary tools and supplies to succeed.

How is MAC governed?

Midlands Arts Conservatory is governed by a Board of Directors. The Board is made up of interested and involved parents, business people, and community members from across the Midlands of South Carolina. The Board is responsible for hiring a school leader, for oversight of financial matters, to ensure Midlands Arts Conservatory meets local, state and federal requirements, and for working with the South Carolina Public Charter School District.

When can I enroll my child at MAC?

Applications for the 2020-2021 school year will be accepted starting February 3, 2020 through February 28, 2020. Interested families may apply now on the Midlands Arts Conservatory website. The easiest way to stay connected is to follow the school on Facebook and Instagram or to check the school’s website (www.midlandsartsconservatory.org).

We expect to enroll 180 student in grades 6-8 for the 2019-2020 school year. If more students than 180 apply, the school will follow state guidelines and conduct a lottery. The details of the lottery process will be shared as we approach the end of the application period.

Do you provide transportation?

At this time Midlands Arts Conservatory does not have plans to provide transportation because the state does not provide transportation funding to charter schools.

My child has an IEP, or receives other special services; can you accommodate his/her needs?

Yes, Midlands Arts Conservatory accommodates all children and their individual learning needs. Our coordinator will require a copy of your child’s IEP or 504 plan in order to schedule them accordingly. You can request your child’s current school to send us a copy if you do not have a current copy at home.

Does MAC offer tutoring?

Yes, Midlands Arts Conservatory provides after-school tutoring in English/language arts and mathematics through a partnership with IB high school students from local high schools. Midlands Arts Conservatory teachers also offer after/before school tutoring to students on a regular basis.

Is there a school uniform?

Yes, Midlands Arts Conservatory has a basic uniform. Students may wear khaki or navy pants, shorts, skits, skorts, or capris and a navy or red polo shirt. Hair, shoes, socks, and other accessories are open for the students to express their individuality.

How do I apply to MAC?

Please download and complete the enrollment application and submit by mail OR in person at the school beginning February 3rd. Office hours are 9:00am – 4:00pm Monday-Friday. Open Enrollment begins February 3rd and closes February 28th. Enrollment will be announced March 6th.

Besides an application, what other documents do I need?

Besides a completed application, the following documents are required after acceptance to the school:

  • A copy of the applicant’s birth certificate
  • The most recent report card to verify grade applying for
  • Proof of residency in the State of South Carolina
  • Copy of IEP or 504 plan (if applicable)
  • Copy of immunization record
  • Home language survey